Imagine embarking on a thrilling adventure, the open road stretching out before you, ready to be conquered. You’ve just acquired a magnificent beast: a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, complete with a factory hitch, perfect for towing a trailer.
But there’s a hitch in your plans; quite literally. The dealership failed to activate the trailer lights, leaving you in a bind.
However, your conscience won’t allow you to return to them, questioning their ethics. Fear not, for in this tale of resourcefulness and determination, you’ll discover the ingenious solution: activating the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee trailer wiring yourself.
Join me as we unravel the mystery and unlock the full potential of your adventure machine.
2018 jeep grand cherokee trailer wiring activation
To activate the trailer wiring on a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, one option is to visit a Jeep dealership and have them flash the system and diagnose any problems at a cost. However, in the case of the author’s experience, the dealership did not enable the factory harness in the car’s computer, leading to non-functioning parking lights for the trailer.
Frustrated by the dealership’s approach and feeling like they were trying to make more money off customers, the author decided to find an alternative solution. They discovered that they could order their own cords and download software to enable the trailer parking lights themselves.
Expressing concern for their safety and others on the road, the author states that they will never go to a Jeep dealership again due to their ethics.
- Trailer wiring on a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee can be activated at a dealership, but it may come at a cost.
- Dealership may not enable the factory harness in the car’s computer, leading to non-functioning trailer parking lights.
- Author found an alternative solution by ordering their own cords and downloading software to enable trailer parking lights.
- Author is frustrated with dealership’s approach and believes they are trying to make more money off customers.
- Author expresses concerns for their safety and others on the road and vows to never go to a Jeep dealership again.
- Jeep dealership’s ethics are cited as the reason behind the decision to not return for future services.
Check this out:
💡 Pro Tips:
1. Check the vehicle’s computer system before purchasing a used Jeep Grand Cherokee with a factory MOPAR hitch to ensure that the factory harness is enabled.
2. If the parking lights on your trailer are not working, it may be because the dealership did not activate the factory harness in the car’s computer.
3. Avoid unnecessary costs by researching and ordering your own trailer cords and downloading the necessary software to enable the trailer parking lights.
4. Prioritize safety by ensuring that all trailer lights, including parking lights, are properly activated to prevent accidents on the road.
5. If you have concerns about the ethics and practices of a particular dealership, consider exploring alternative options for servicing and maintaining your vehicle.
1. Introduction: Purchasing A Used 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee With Factory Mopar Hitch
When it comes to towing trailers, the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a popular choice for many adventure enthusiasts. As an author, I recently purchased a used 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee that came equipped with a factory MOPAR hitch.
Excited to start my towing adventures, I quickly discovered that the parking lights for the trailer were not working. This unexpected issue sparked my journey of uncovering the cause and finding a solution.
2. Trailer Parking Lights Issue: Parking Lights For Trailer Not Working
Imagine my disappointment when I hooked up the trailer for the first time, only to realize that the parking lights were not functioning. While this may seem like a minor problem, the importance of functioning parking lights for trailers cannot be underestimated.
They contribute to the safety of the driver, passengers, and other road users, especially during nighttime or low visibility conditions. Frustrated with this setback, I decided to take my Jeep back to the dealership to address the issue.
3. Dealership Oversight: Factory Harness Not Enabled In Car’s Computer
To my surprise, the dealership informed me that the factory harness for the trailer wiring was not enabled in my car’s computer system. This oversight meant that the parking lights for the trailer were not receiving power, resulting in their non-functionality.
The dealership explained that to rectify this issue, they would need to flash the system and diagnose the problem, which would come at an additional cost. This revelation left me feeling both upset and suspicious of the dealership’s motives.
4. Dealership Solutions: Flashing The System And Diagnosing At A Cost
Facing this unexpected expense, I found myself in a difficult position. On one hand, I wanted to ensure the proper functioning of my trailer’s parking lights for my safety and the safety of others on the road.
On the other hand, it felt frustrating to have to pay extra for something that should have been done correctly in the first place. However, understanding the importance of resolving this issue, I reluctantly agreed to have the dealership flash the system and diagnose the problem.
5. Disgruntled Customer: Dealership’s Actions Seen As A Ploy For Additional Profit
The dealership’s actions left a sour taste in my mouth. I couldn’t help but feel like they were using this situation as an opportunity to make more money off unsuspecting customers.
It’s disheartening to think that a trusted dealership would prioritize profit over customer satisfaction and safety. This experience has made me question the ethics of such establishments and raised concerns about the overall integrity of the automotive industry.
6. DIY Solution: Ordering Own Cords And Downloading Software To Enable Trailer Parking Lights
In my quest for a solution, I stumbled upon a community of Jeep owners who faced similar issues. Thanks to their experiences and shared knowledge, I discovered that I had an alternative option to resolve the trailer parking lights problem.
By ordering my own cords and downloading the necessary software, I could enable the trailer parking lights myself. This DIY approach not only saved me a significant amount of money but also empowered me to take control of my own Jeep’s functionality.
- Ordering Own Cords: I found an online retailer specializing in trailer wiring kits specifically designed for the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. These kits include all the necessary wiring harnesses and connectors.
- Downloading Software: After thorough research, I discovered that the software required to activate the trailer parking lights was available for download on the manufacturer’s website.
I followed the instructions provided and successfully activated the functionality.
7. Conclusion: Vowing Never To Visit Jeep Dealership Again Due To Ethical Concerns
This journey has opened my eyes to the importance of being an informed consumer. I no longer feel the need to rely solely on dealerships for every issue that arises with my Jeep.
By seeking out resources within the Jeep community and taking matters into my own hands, I was able to resolve the trailer parking lights problem without unnecessary costs. Moving forward, I have made the decision to never go to the Jeep dealership again, as I cannot trust their ethical practices.
It’s essential for every Jeep owner to be aware of their options and take charge of their vehicle’s functionalities. Let’s unlock the full potential of our Jeep Grand Cherokees without relying on profit-driven institutions.