Are you tired of fumbling with your keys every time you want to get in your Jeep Wrangler? Well, you’re not alone.
Many Jeep enthusiasts have questioned the effectiveness of Jeep’s definition of “keyless entry.” But fear not! There might just be a solution.
In this article, we delve into the possibility of adding passive entry to your beloved Jeep Wrangler using a separate kit. However, we can’t help but wonder if the type of Wrangler you own will affect the process.
Join us as we explore the step-by-step process, from replacing door handles to dealing with the car’s PCM. Get ready to unlock a whole new level of convenience in your Jeep!
add keyless entry to jeep wrangler
To add keyless entry to a Jeep Wrangler, you can install a separate kit that includes remote proximity door handles. This process involves replacing the existing door handles with the new ones and wiring them properly.
It is important to note that some Jeep models, such as the Sahara and Rubicon, already have the necessary wiring in place. The estimated cost for the parts required is between $300 and $400.
Replacing the door handles may take a few hours to complete. To enable the proximity function, the car’s PCM (Powertrain Control Module) needs to be flashed, which can only be done by a Chrysler dealer.
Furthermore, Chrysler Corporate must add the remote proximity feature to the build sheet for the specific Wrangler. Currently, there is no easy method available to activate this feature.
Here are the markdown bullet points:
- Install separate kit with remote proximity door handles for keyless entry
- Replace existing door handles and wire new ones properly
- Certain Jeep Wrangler models may already have necessary wiring in place
- Estimated cost for parts is between $300 and $400
- Replacing door handles may take a few hours to complete
- Car’s PCM needs to be flashed by a Chrysler dealer to enable proximity function
Check this out:
💡 Pro Tips:
1. Check your Jeep’s model type before attempting to add keyless entry. Different Wrangler models may have different wiring and door handle compatibility, so make sure to do your research first.
2. Be prepared to spend some time on the installation. Replacing the door handles with remote proximity handles can take a few hours to complete, so set aside a block of time for the project.
3. Consider the cost of the parts. Adding keyless entry to a Jeep Wrangler typically requires purchasing a separate kit, which can cost between $300 to $400. Make sure to budget accordingly before starting the process.
4. Flashing the car’s PCM is necessary to enable the proximity function. However, this can only be done by a Chrysler dealer, so plan on scheduling a visit to get this step completed.
5. Contact Chrysler Corporate to inquire about adding the remote proximity feature to your Jeep’s build sheet. While there may not be an easy method currently available, reaching out to the company may provide some insight or potential solutions.
1. Author Questions Jeep’s Definition Of “Keyless Entry”
The article begins with the author questioning Jeep’s definition of “keyless entry.” The author raises the point that Jeeps with electric locks can already be considered to have keyless entry, as they do not require a physical key to unlock the doors. However, the author argues that true keyless entry should allow for passive entry and proximity-based unlocking.
2. Jeeps With Electric Locks Already Have “Keyless Entry”
It is stated that Jeeps with electric locks already have a form of keyless entry since they do not require a physical key to unlock the doors. This challenges the notion that keyless entry needs to involve proximity-based unlocking.
3. Author Adds Passive Entry To Their Jeep Using A Separate Kit
The author shares their personal experience of adding passive entry to their Jeep using a separate kit. The specific details of the kit are not mentioned, but it can be inferred that it includes components necessary for proximity-based unlocking.
4. Uncertainty If Wrangler Type Affects The Process
The article highlights the uncertainty surrounding whether the type of Jeep Wrangler affects the process of adding keyless entry. No specific information is provided, leaving the readers with a question mark regarding this aspect.
5. Main Step Is Replacing Door Handles With Remote Proximity Handles
The main step in adding keyless entry to a Jeep Wrangler is identified as replacing the existing door handles with remote proximity handles. This step implies that the existing door handles lack the necessary technology for proximity-based unlocking.
6. Wiring Is Already Present In Sahara And Rubicon Models.
It is stated that wiring required for keyless entry is already present in Sahara and Rubicon models of the Jeep Wrangler. This indicates that these models might have the necessary infrastructure in place for adding keyless entry.
The other models’ compatibility or lack thereof is not mentioned.
Overall, the article sheds light on the different aspects and steps involved in adding keyless entry to a Jeep Wrangler. It also raises questions about Jeep’s definition of keyless entry and provides insights into the author’s personal experience.