Are you tired of lugging around a puny spare tire that’s barely big enough to get you home?
It’s time to upgrade your Jeep JK’s spare tire carrier and say goodbye to those small tires for good!
In this article, we’ll explore a range of exciting options that will not only allow you to carry larger tires on the rear of your vehicle but also enhance its overall appearance.
Whether you prefer hinged carriers, reinforced tailgates, aftermarket bumpers with tire mounts, or adjustable brackets for brake light clearance, we’ve got you covered.
Get ready to take your off-road adventures to new heights with these fantastic spare tire carrier upgrades!
jeep jk spare tire carrier upgrade
When considering a spare tire carrier upgrade for a Jeep JK, there are several options available.
These include the Teraflex HD hinged carrier, larger tire reinforcement on the tailgate, aftermarket rear bumpers with integrated tire mounts such as the Barricade Trail Force HD, steel bumpers with integrated carriers, and adjustable brackets for rear center brake light clearance.
Each of these upgrades provides a solution for securely and conveniently carrying a larger spare tire on the Jeep JK.
- Several options available for upgrading the spare tire carrier on a Jeep JK
- Options include:
- Teraflex HD hinged carrier
- Larger tire reinforcement on the tailgate
- Aftermarket rear bumpers with integrated tire mounts
- Steel bumpers with integrated carriers
- Adjustable brackets for rear center brake light clearance
- Each upgrade provides a solution for securely and conveniently carrying a larger spare tire
- Teraflex HD hinged carrier is one option
- Aftermarket rear bumpers with integrated tire mounts, such as the Barricade Trail Force HD, are another option
- Adjustable brackets for rear center brake light clearance are also available
Check this out:
💡 Did You Know?
1. The original “jeep” was a military vehicle introduced during World War II, with the name being derived from the term “GP” (General Purpose). However, the popular Jeep JK model was launched in 2007 as a civilian version of the vehicle.
2. The Jeep JK spare tire carrier upgrade not only provides a more secure mounting solution for the spare tire but also allows for the addition of various accessories. These can range from additional fuel canisters, camping gear, jerry cans, or even a bicycle rack, maximizing the usage of space on your Jeep.
3. Jeep JK spare tire carriers often feature a swing-out design, allowing easy access to the rear cargo area. This feature is particularly useful when trying to retrieve items stored in the trunk, as it eliminates the need to unload everything or remove the spare tire completely.
4. Some spare tire carrier upgrades for the Jeep JK come with built-in additional storage compartments. These compartments can be utilized to store tools, recovery gear, or other essential off-roading equipment, ensuring everything is always on hand when needed.
5. If you often find yourself off-roading or driving on rough terrains, upgrading your Jeep JK spare tire carrier can help prevent common issues such as the tire becoming dislodged due to vibrations or excessive bouncing. A reinforced carrier provides added stability and peace of mind, knowing that your spare tire is securely fastened even under challenging conditions.
Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier
One of the first upgrades you should consider for your Jeep JK’s spare tire carrier is the Teraflex HD hinged carrier. This aftermarket option is designed to provide increased strength and durability, making it the perfect choice for off-road enthusiasts. With its heavy-duty construction, this carrier can easily handle the weight of larger tires, ensuring a secure and stable fit.
The Teraflex HD hinged carrier offers a unique hinged design that allows for easy access to the rear cargo area. This feature is particularly useful when you have limited space or need to retrieve items from the trunk. The hinged carrier also includes a convenient mounting point for accessories such as a high-lift jack or additional fuel cans.
In addition to its functional benefits, the Teraflex HD hinged carrier also enhances the overall appearance of your Jeep JK. Its sleek and rugged design adds a touch of style while maintaining its off-road capabilities. Whether you’re tackling rocky terrains or cruising through the city streets, this upgrade is a must-have for any Jeep JK owner.
Tailgate Tire Upgrade With Reinforcement
Another essential modification for your Jeep JK’s spare tire carrier is upgrading to a larger tire on the tailgate with heavy reinforcement. When venturing off-road, it’s crucial to have a spare tire that matches the demands of the terrain. By upgrading to a larger tire, you improve traction and increase ground clearance, allowing you to tackle more challenging obstacles.
To accommodate the larger tire, additional reinforcement is necessary to ensure the stability and safety of the carrier. This reinforcement may include reinforced brackets and mount points, as well as sturdy hinges and latches. By reinforcing the tailgate tire mount, you can confidently navigate rough terrains without worrying about the integrity of your spare tire carrier.
In addition to improved performance, a larger tire with reinforcement adds a rugged aesthetic appeal to your Jeep JK. This modification showcases your off-road prowess, making a statement wherever you go.
Aftermarket Rear Bumper With Tire Mount
Consider upgrading your Jeep JK with an aftermarket rear bumper that features an integrated tire mount for enhanced versatility and functionality. This upgrade not only provides a secure and convenient solution for carrying your spare tire, but it also maximizes your off-road capabilities.
One of the key advantages of opting for an aftermarket rear bumper with a tire mount is the improved strength and durability it offers compared to the stock options. These bumpers are typically made from heavy-duty materials like steel, providing your Jeep JK with added protection during off-road adventures.
Additionally, the integrated tire mount eliminates the need for a separate carrier, which saves valuable cargo space. By having the tire mounted on the rear bumper, you have more room available to store other necessary equipment and gear, ensuring you’re fully prepared for any off-road excursion.
Barricade Trail Force HD Rear Bumper
The Barricade Trail Force HD rear bumper is highly regarded among Jeep JK owners seeking to upgrade their spare tire carrier. This aftermarket bumper is specifically designed to deliver unparalleled strength and durability, making it ideal for enduring the challenges of off-road adventures.
One of the key highlights of the Barricade Trail Force HD rear bumper is its built-in tire mount, which is capable of accommodating larger tires. This ensures a secure fit, even when traversing rough terrains. Furthermore, the bumper offers enhanced protection for the rear of your Jeep JK, effectively shielding it from potential damages during off-road excursions.
Moreover, the Barricade Trail Force HD rear bumper is compatible with a variety of accessories, including D-ring mounts, recovery points, and trailer hitch receivers. This versatility provides you with the opportunity to customize your Jeep JK and effortlessly adapt it to any off-road scenario.
In summary, the Barricade Trail Force HD rear bumper offers unmatched strength, durability, and versatility to Jeep JK owners. Its built-in tire mount, along with compatibility with various accessories, further enhances its value as a reliable upgrade option.
- Built-in tire mount accommodates larger tires
- Provides enhanced protection for the rear of the Jeep JK
- Compatible with various accessories, such as D-ring mounts, recovery points, and trailer hitch receivers.
Steel Bumper With Integrated Carrier
If you’re looking for the ultimate strength and reliability in a spare tire carrier upgrade, a steel bumper with an integrated carrier is the ideal choice. Steel bumpers offer exceptional protection and durability, making them the top pick for off-road enthusiasts.
The great advantage of choosing a steel bumper with an integrated carrier is that it combines the benefits of a heavy-duty bumper with the convenience of a tire mount. You won’t have to go through the hassle of installing a separate carrier, saving you time and effort. The integrated carrier is designed to securely hold your spare tire, giving you peace of mind when conquering challenging trails.
What sets steel bumpers with integrated carriers apart is the variety of styles and finishes they come in, allowing you to personalize your Jeep JK according to your unique preferences. Whether you prefer a sleek black matte finish or want to add a touch of chrome, there’s a steel bumper with an integrated carrier that will suit your style and not compromise your Jeep JK’s off-road capabilities.
To sum up:
- A steel bumper with an integrated carrier provides the ultimate strength and reliability for your spare tire upgrade.
- Steel bumpers offer exceptional protection and durability, making them an ideal choice for off-road enthusiasts.
- The convenience of an integrated carrier eliminates the need for separate installation, saving you time and effort.
- The integrated carrier securely holds your spare tire, providing peace of mind on challenging trails.
- Steel bumpers with integrated carriers are available in various styles and finishes, allowing you to personalize your Jeep JK.
“Steel bumpers with integrated carriers provide the ultimate combination of strength, convenience, and style for off-road enthusiasts.”
Adjustable Bracket For Brake Light Clearance
When upgrading your Jeep JK’s spare tire carrier, it’s essential to consider the clearance of the rear center brake light. An adjustable bracket provides a simple yet effective solution to ensure proper clearance for the brake light, maintaining optimal visibility and compliance with road regulations.
By incorporating an adjustable bracket, you can easily position the brake light higher or lower, depending on the size of your new tire or carrier. This ensures that the brake light is not obstructed by the spare tire or carrier, allowing other motorists to clearly see your intentions.
Furthermore, an adjustable bracket offers flexibility for future modifications, such as a larger tire upgrade, without the need for additional adjustments or replacements. This practical and cost-effective solution ensures that your Jeep JK remains roadworthy and compliant with safety regulations while still allowing you to enjoy the benefits of a modified spare tire carrier.
Remember: When upgrading your Jeep JK’s spare tire carrier, an adjustable bracket is key to maintaining proper clearance for the rear center brake light.
Embarking on your next off-road adventure? Consider these excellent upgrade options for your Jeep JK’s spare tire carrier:
- Teraflex HD hinged carrier
- Tailgate tire upgrade with reinforcement
- Aftermarket rear bumper with a tire mount
- Barricade Trail Force HD rear bumper
- Steel bumper with an integrated carrier
These upgrades enhance the strength, durability, functionality, and appearance of your Jeep JK, ensuring that it is well-equipped for any off-road challenge. So, embark on your next adventure with the confidence that your spare tire carrier is ready to handle whatever the trail throws at it.
How much weight can a stock JK tire carrier hold?
The stock JK tire carrier, manufactured for a Jeep Wrangler, has a weight capacity of up to 50 lbs. This limit is suitable for typical off-road conditions and light trails. However, it is crucial to recognize that surpassing this weight limit or venturing into more challenging terrains may result in harm to the tire carrier or even the tailgate of the Jeep. It is recommended to be cautious and aware of the weight capacity and the terrain conditions to avoid any potential damage.
Will JK spare tire carrier fit on a TJ?
Yes, the JK spare tire carrier is compatible with a TJ. By using a wheel adapter on the existing spare tire mount, you can easily attach the JK spare tire to your TJ’s tailgate. This simple modification ensures a perfect fit and allows you to benefit from the JK spare tire carrier on your TJ vehicle. Whether you’re looking to upgrade or replace your current spare tire carrier, this solution proves to be a seamless and effective option for TJ owners.
How big of tires can you put on a Jeep Wrangler without a lift?
While it is technically possible to fit a 33″ tire on a Jeep Wrangler without a lift, you may encounter some clearance issues, particularly when navigating rough terrains or flexing the suspension. Without a lift, the space between the tire and the fender is limited, potentially causing rubbing and compromising the vehicle’s performance. It is important to consider the overall balance and functionality of your Jeep when determining the suitable tire size, ensuring it does not negatively impact your driving experience or pose any safety hazards.
Should I get a spare tire for my Jeep Wrangler?
Although it is generally recommended to have a full-size spare tire for off-roading in a Jeep Wrangler, it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. While a spare tire can provide you with peace of mind and ensure you are prepared for any potential tire damage, it is essential to consider the potential drawbacks. Spare tires can add weight to your vehicle, potentially affecting both its on-road and off-road performance. Carefully weigh the importance of having a spare tire against the potential impact on your Jeep’s overall performance to make an informed decision that suits your specific situation.