Are you ready to take your Tesla Model Y to the next level? One simple upgrade that can make a world of difference is opting for the perfect set of wheels.
While the Model Y comes standard with 19-inch wheels, many Tesla enthusiasts can’t help but wonder what difference a mere inch can make. Well, the answer might surprise you.
In this article, we’ll delve into the heated debate between 19 and 20-inch wheels for the Model Y. As an avid Tesla lover myself, I’ll share my personal preference for the 20-inch wheels and explore alternative options that offer both style and substance.
So fasten your seatbelts, because things are about to get wheel-y interesting!
tesla model y 19 vs 20 inch wheels
When considering the Tesla Model Y, the choice between 19-inch and 20-inch wheels is an important decision. The author of the article prefers the 20-inch Induction wheels over the 19-inch Gemini wheels.
One reason for this preference is that the Inductions stick out further, creating curb anxiety. Additionally, the 20-inch wheels offer better handling, comfort, wet/snow performance, and treadwear compared to the 19-inch wheels.
Although there may be a slight decrease in range when upgrading to 20-inch wheels, this is not a significant concern for everyday driving and road trips, as Supercharger locations are typically within 180 miles of each other. It is worth noting that the 20-inch Induction wheels have a reduced towing capacity and tongue weight when carrying four or more passengers.
However, the article suggests that there may be more to the story regarding towing capacity and the number of passengers. The author also mentions the option of alternative wheels with a higher load rating and a similar look.
Overall, the author’s preference for the 20-inch Induction wheels is based on their improved performance and style, but they acknowledge the benefits of 19-inch wheels, such as more tire availability and lower cost.
- The choice between 19-inch and 20-inch wheels is important when considering the Tesla Model Y
- The author prefers the 20-inch Induction wheels over the 19-inch Gemini wheels
- The Inductions stick out further, creating curb anxiety
- The 20-inch wheels offer better handling, comfort, wet/snow performance, and treadwear compared to the 19-inch wheels
- Although there may be a slight decrease in range with 20-inch wheels, it is not a significant concern for everyday driving and road trips due to Supercharger locations
- The 20-inch Induction wheels have reduced towing capacity and tongue weight with four or more passengers, but there are alternatives with higher load ratings that offer a similar look.
Check this out:
💡 Pro Tips:
1. Consider trading or buying used 19″ Gemini wheels from current Model Y owners to switch from 20″ Induction wheels, as there may be availability and lower cost benefits.
2. Look into alternative wheel options with a higher load rating and similar appearance to the 20″ Induction wheels.
3. If you prioritize range or comfort, switching to 19″ wheels or adding a suspension kit to your Model Y is recommended.
4. When towing with 4 or more passengers, be aware that the towing capacity and tongue weight are reduced with the 20″ Induction wheels compared to the 19″ wheels.
5. Paint the aero covers of the 19″ wheels and powdercoat the rims to match the appearance of the 20″ Induction wheels, if desired.
1. The Dilemma: Tesla Model Y 19 Vs 20 Inch Wheels
When it comes to selecting the right wheels for your Tesla Model Y, there are two popular options to consider – the 19-inch Gemini wheels and the 20-inch Induction wheels. In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of each wheel size and discuss why the author prefers the 20-inch Induction wheels.
The first factor that the author brings up is curb anxiety. The Induction wheels stick out further than the Gemini wheels, which can cause concern when parking near curbs.
This is definitely a point worth considering for those who are particularly conscious of protecting their wheels from any potential damage.
Another important consideration when choosing between the two wheel options is weight. The 19-inch Gemini wheels weigh 1,698lbs, while the 20-inch Induction wheels weigh 1,940lbs.
This means that there is a slight increase in weight when opting for the larger 20-inch wheels. However, this weight difference may not be significant enough to greatly impact the overall performance of the vehicle.
2. Performance Comparison: Pros And Cons Of 19-Inch Gemini And 20-Inch Induction Wheels
One of the key factors in deciding between the Gemini and Induction wheels is the performance they offer. According to the author, the 20-inch Induction wheels provide better handling, comfort, wet/snow performance, and treadwear compared to the 19-inch Gemini wheels.
This improvement in performance can greatly enhance the driving experience, especially in challenging road conditions.
However, it is important to note that switching to the 20-inch wheels may result in a slight decrease in range. The author suggests that there may be a 10-15 mile decrease in range, but they consider this to be negligible for everyday driving and road trips.
It is worth mentioning that Tesla Supercharger locations are typically not further than 180 miles apart, making the range decrease less of a concern for most owners.
3. Comfort And Handling: Why The Author Prefers 20-Inch Induction Wheels
Despite the potential range impact, the author strongly prefers the 20-inch Induction wheels due to their superior comfort and handling. Surprisingly, the Induction wheels are claimed to be even more comfortable than any tire on the Model 3, which is known for its smooth ride.
The sidewall size of the Induction wheels is similar to the 18-inch wheels of the Model 3, making them more durable against pothole damage. This is an important consideration for those who often encounter rough road conditions, as it ensures that the wheels can handle the impact without suffering any damage.
Additionally, the author mentions that tire pressure plays a significant role in ride comfort. They advise adjusting the tire pressure to find the sweet spot that offers the best combination of comfort and performance.
For those who are looking for an even more comfortable ride, the addition of a suspension kit can further improve the driving experience.
4. Range Impact: Does Switching To 20-Inch Wheels Affect Mileage?
As previously mentioned, switching to the 20-inch Induction wheels may result in a slight decrease in range. However, the author assures that this decrease is negligible for everyday driving and road trips.
Considering that Tesla Supercharger locations are typically not further than 180 miles apart, the range impact is unlikely to be a significant concern for most Tesla owners.
The author emphasizes that the improved performance and comfort provided by the 20-inch Induction wheels outweigh the slight decrease in range. It is important for potential buyers to evaluate their own driving needs and prioritize their preferences when making a decision.
5. Towing Capacity And Passenger Load: Considerations For Wheel Choice
When it comes to towing capacity and passenger load, the choice of wheels can have an impact. The author points out that with 4 or more passengers, the 20-inch Induction wheels have a reduced towing capacity and tongue weight compared to the 19-inch Gemini wheels.
However, the author suggests that there may be more to the story regarding towing capacity and passenger load. It is advisable to consult the Tesla Model Y owner’s manual or reach out to Tesla directly to get accurate information regarding the towing capacity and limitations based on the number of passengers and the type of wheels.
6. Alternatives And Modifications: Options For Achieving Desired Performance And Look
For those who are not fully convinced by the 20-inch Induction wheels but still want to optimize the performance and appearance of their Model Y, the author mentions several alternatives and modifications.
One option is to consider higher load rating wheels with a similar look to the Inductions. This offers the benefit of maintaining a sleek appearance while ensuring that the wheels can handle heavier loads.
Another option is to switch to 19-inch wheels, which come with their own set of advantages. The availability and cost of tires in a specific size are often better for the 19-inch wheels compared to the stock tires for the Inductions.
Additionally, 19-inch wheels fit better on 8.5-inch rims and have less risk of curbing.
- The author mentions the 19-inch TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel as a potential alternative with several benefits. These include having more tire options, cheaper tire options, a smoother ride, and less risk of pothole damage.
To further enhance the appearance of the 19-inch wheels, the author plans to paint the aero covers and powdercoat the rims to match the Inductions. This modification allows for a personalized touch without compromising on performance or comfort.
In conclusion, choosing between the 19-inch Gemini wheels and the 20-inch Induction wheels for the Tesla Model Y ultimately comes down to personal preferences and priorities. While the 20-inch wheels offer improved performance, comfort, and handling, they may result in a slight decrease in range and have limitations on towing capacity with more passengers.
Exploring alternative options and modifications can help achieve the desired balance of performance and aesthetics.